Kauai Driving Tips
Always keep in mind that you are on our beautiful island of Kauai for vacation and driving around here is a little different than on the mainland. Most of our roads are two lanes with little or no shoulder and plenty of beautiful scenery so please use caution and keep an eye out for bicyclists and pedestrians. Kauai is an island and small community, local people here tend to be a little more relaxed and laid back. It is Hawaiian custom to show aloha whether walking around town or even on the roadways. It may be a small gesture, but it can mean many things, for example slowing down to let a waiting car enter. Honking is usually used only for the purpose of warning of hazards or danger.
Below please find driving directions to Princeville, Kapaa and Poipu. PLEASE NOTE: All confirmed guests will also have directions emailed to them along with other information regarding their reservation no later than two weeks before the beginning of the stay, so please check your email inbox as a copy will be sent to you.
Driving Directions To Princeville from Lihue Airport
Lihue is pronounced lee-HU-eh.
- After you rent your car at the Lihue Airport: Exit the Lihue Airport and turn right onto HI-51 North for 1.5 miles
- HI-51 North turns into HI-56 North / Kuhio Highway. Continue on HI - 56 north for 25.3 miles
- Turn right onto Ka Haku Rd towards the Princeville Fountain at the center of the traffic circle
Continue from Princeville Traffic Circle to these Resort Condominiums:
- Continue on Ka Haku Road to the first intersection past the fountain.
- Turn right on Wyllie Road.
- The Puamana complex begins at the third parking turn-off on the left, and also includes the fourth and fifth turn-offs; each turn has a Puamana sign next to it with a list of the numbered buildings in the complex that can be accessed from that turn-off, so for example if your unit is Puamana 17D you would look for the sign that indicates access for building 17.
- Continue on Ka Haku Road past the traffic circle for 0.6 miles.
- Take the second right onto Kamehameha Road for 0.6 miles. Sealodge is at the end of the road.
Emmalani Court Condos
- Continue on Ka Haku Road past the traffic circle for 1.5 miles. Emmalani Court is on your right.
Pali Ke Kua Condos
- Continue on Ka Haku Road past the traffic circle for 1.6 miles. Pali Ke Kua Condominiums are on your right.
Hanalei Bay Villas
- Continue on Ka Haku Road past the traffic circle for 1.6 miles. The Hanalei Bay Villas will be situated to your left in small clusters that continue along Ka Haku Road. There will be signs at each parking area for the units accessed by that area.
Pu'u Poa Condos
- Continue on Ka Haku Road past the traffic circle for 1.9 miles. Pu'u Poa Condominiums are on your right.
Villas of Kamalii
- Continue on Ka Haku Road past the traffic circle for 1.1 miles.
- Take the second Left onto Lei O Papa Road and continue for 0.3 miles. Villas of Kamalii is on the left.
Hanalei Bay Resort
- Continue on Ka Haku Road past the traffic circle for 1.4 miles.
- Turn left onto Liholiho Road and continue 0.2 miles.
- Turn right onto Honoiki Road and continue 0.3 miles. Hanalei Bay Resort is at the end of the road. Hanalei Bay Resort's address is 5380 Honoiki Road, Princeville.
- Check-in at the front desk and the bellman will shuttle you to your room!
Driving Directions to the Kapaa Area Condominiums
- After you rent your car at the Lihue Airport:Exit the Lihue Airport and turn right onto HI-51 North for 1.5 miles
- Continue Straight onto HI-56 N/Kuhio Hwy N for 3.6 miles to Kapaa
- Turn right onto Papaloa Rd which will branch off of the highway; there is a Shell station at the turnoff.
- The Wailua Bay View is the first complex on the right, and the Kapaa Sands is the third resort on the right.
- Waipouli Beach Resort is located on Kuhio Hwy, stay on HI-56 until McDonalds, get into the far rigth lane and turn right at the next light
- Kauai Kailani is the next driveway after Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa
Driving Directions to Poipu
- When leaving the Lihue Airport, proceed directly through the intersection along Ahukini Road.
- Ahukini Road will end at HI-56, also known as Kuhio Highway.
- Turn left on HI-56, this road becomes HI-50 West. Continue on HI-50 West for approx. 6.7 miles.
- Turn left on HI-520, Maluhia Road, and travel south for approximately 3 miles to Koloa. (If you are continuing to Poipu Makai, see below.)
- The road will end in Koloa Town. Turn right and travel about 100 yards where you will take a left onto Poipu Road.
- Follow Poipu Road south where you will come to the Kukuiula Shopping Center in Poipu.
To Kuhio Shores
- Enter the traffic circle, take the 2nd exit onto Lawai Road
- Continue on Lawai Road for .6 miles, Kuhio Shores will be on the left.
To continue to Poipu Makai
- Just before you come to Koloa Town, take the Ala Kinoiki bypass on the left.
- Drive 3 miles to the intersection with Poipu Road. Continue across the road onto Pe'e Road.
- Take Pe'e Road 0.4 miles south, and the driveway for the Poipu Makai Condominiums will be on your left.
- The drive will head down and to the right where there is an upper and lower parking area; use the upper area to access Unit A3.